What we can and cannot investigate

Matters we can investigate

We can investigate complaints concerning the provision of services by a member of the Energy and Water Ombudsman Western Australia Scheme to electricity and gas customers or anyone affected by issues with water service providers which may include water supply, drainage, sewerage and irrigation.

The types of energy and water issues you can complain about include:

  • Provision or supply of electricity, gas or water;
  • Billing;
  • The administration of credit and payment services;
  • Alleged or disputed debts and the recovery of debts;
  • Disconnection and restriction of supply and refundable advances;
  • Service standard payments;
  • Marketing of services;
  • The exercise of powers in relation to land, neighbouring land or property;
  • Damage or loss due to supply issues; and
  • Complaints by a person other than a customer who is affected by a water service.

Complaints may be oral or in writing and must have arisen from events which became known to the complainant less than one year prior to the complaint being lodged unless the Energy and Water Ombudsman Western Australia otherwise agrees.

Matters we cannot investigate

The Energy and Water Ombudsman cannot investigate:

  • The setting of prices or tariffs or determining price structures;
  • Commercial activities that are outside the scope of the electricity, gas or water service licence;
  • The content of Government policies;
  • Complaints under consideration by, or previously considered by any court or tribunal; or that the Ombudsman considers should be dealt with by a court or tribunal;
  • Any matter specifically required by legislation, codes licences and orders to be handled by another authority; and
  • Issues to do with bottled gas.

In resolving a complaint, the Energy and Water Ombudsman must take into account:

  • Events beyond the reasonable control of the electricity, gas or water service provider; and
  • The actions taken by an electricity, gas or water service provider (and any resulting consequence) that are in compliance with a direction or notice received by the provider.

The Energy and Water Ombudsman may decline to investigate if the complainant does not have sufficient interest in the matter, an investigation is not warranted or there is a more appropriate body to deal with the complaint.